SKO – Teachers in Higher and Secondary Education in Finland
Advocacy in the field of education is taken care of by The Trade Union of Education in Finland (OAJ) to which also SKO members belong to automatically. As a SKO member your interests are protected, and you can benefit from versatile SKO benefits in addition to OAJ member benefits. SKO has also local member associations that organize different kinds of activities in their regions.
SKO in a nutshell:
- carries out advocacy in co-operation with OAJ by participating actively in OAJ Council and other bodies.
- oversees its members professional benefits by acting as an expert in co-operation networks.
- organizes training and other events to its members and shop stewards.
- provides counselling on employment relationship to its members.
- supports members’ occupational well-being by organizing e.g. recreational activities.
- shares information on current topics in a member magazine and newsletter, on a web page and in social media.
Examples for member benefits:
SKO offers help and guidance: SKO has two employment relationship counsellors who can help if you have questions about employment relationships, laws, pensions, payment etc. In addition, OAJ experts and lawyer services are at your disposal.
As an OAJ member you get insurances: The membership includes a free-time accident insurance, traveler insurance, luggage and travel liability insurance as well as a liability and legal expenses insurance.
Grant from SKO fund: SKO members have a chance to apply for a grant related to research or international collaboration in business education. Grants are for teachers teaching in secondary education or in universities of applied sciences.
SKO offers holiday destinations for its members’ use: As a member you can get cheap rental periods in SKO-owned high-class holiday apartments located in Messilä in Hollola, Himos in Jämsä, Iso-Syöte in Pudasjärvi an in the Vuokatti village in Sotkamo.
SKO offers versatile possibilities for training and occupational well-being: Trainings for members are organized all-year round both as webinars and local events. Bigger events such as SKO-Days and Sports Weekend are held every two years.
Become a member:
SKO membership pays off! Union fee is only 0.88 % (0.80 OAJ and 0.08 % SKO). SKO is the only national association that pays its members’ union fees.
You can become a member by filling in the electronic form at OAJ website. If you need any help or guidance in matters related to membership, please contact your workplace contact teacher.